Yates, Harold James

Date: 1878-1959

Born in Plumstead in December 1878, Harold James Yates would become a lecturer at the University of Reading’s Fine Art Department in 1922.  Yates taught on the Painting and Drawing courses, taking the position from friend and colleague, Allen W. Seaby when he was promoted to Director of the Department. Yates stayed at the University until his retirement in 1942, by which time J. Anthony Betts was the Director.

An active artist during his time in Reading, Yates’ work was present in the first exhibition of the Reading Guild of Artists in 1930.

The University Art Collection holds two paintings by Harold James Yates, on a variety of subjects.