Leon Kossoff studied at Saint Martin’s School of Art, Borough Polytechnic and, between 1953 and 1956, at the Royal College of Art, as well as attending evening life drawing classes at Toynbee Hall. In 1959, Kossoff started teaching at the Regent Street Polytechnic, the Chelsea School of Art, and the Saint Martin’s School of Art.
Kossoff’s paintings are recognisable for their exceptionally thick paint layers. He created his paintings in a single session and would return to paint the same subjects; often around the areas where he lived and worked, in Kilburn and Willesden. Known as one of the School of London painters, Kossoff helped revived figurative painting in the 1970s.
The University Art Collection has one artwork by Leon Kossoff.