Initially rising to prominence for his etching and drypoint, Stanley Anderson is recognised by many as defining the Renaissance of British engraving during the early twentieth-century. Anderson took evening classes at Bristol School of Art, before attending the Royal College of Art and Goldsmith’s College.
The engraving tutor at Goldsmith’s from 1925, Anderson became a member of the Engraving Faculty at the British School at Rome between 1930-1952.
Anderson is best known for his later engravings of English rural crafts; many of which are housed in The MERL’s collection. Starting work on this series in 1933, after his rising concerns about the threats to this way of life. Anderson would be awarded a CBE for this body of work in 1951.
The University Art Collection holds one etching by Stanley Anderson, entitled ‘Avignon from the Rhone’.