Cowie Embroidery Collection
Reference: COWIE COLLECTION Date: 1601-1982 Extent: c. 250 volumes
The collection contains books, pamphlets and journals on the subject of embroidery, needlework, lace-making and other related crafts.
The volumes were collected by Dr Flora Margaret Valda Cowie (née Coppen) (1913-1983), and donated to the university by her husband Professor Alfred Tennant Cowie (1916-2003) in the 1980s.
- The books are fully catalogued and searchable on the online catalogue.
- A complete handlist is available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Browse The MERL Library for more material on crafts
- See the Barnett Collection at The MERL for a collection of 19th- and 20th-century sewing machines
- National Institute of Research in Dairying Archive – Valda and her husband both worked at the Institute.
- Professor A.T. Cowie – an endocrinologist at the University of Reading, and Valda’s husband.